Prompt option on the country field

What are you trying to do? (Detailed description)
Is it possible please to create a prompt for the country field?

What is the challenge you’re experiencing?
At the moment, the country field gives the option to default to a country from the dropdown list, and it would be great if there could be a prompt available (such as: “Please select your country”) which will ask customers to choose one of the options, rather then submitting the form with the default option by mistake.

Do you have a workaround that you use right now?

I don’t think there is a way to do this with the existing field – because you can’t manipulate that list of values and you also can’t add any JavaScript to insert one additional value that’s a “prompt”.

I supposed you could create a custom field – but I’m not sure what that does to any of your processes/integrations.

I have had the same issue and as a result was forced to create a custom field and re.-create all the countries. Yes, this took a while but I have saved the setup as a template. It would be far better to have this fixed in the global setup. We also have had to change, in the custom field, the way some of the countries are named/displayed due to sensitivities with the way some countries are named.

1 Like

Yes – that’s what I had thought. Any hiccups with your integrations because of that?

Also, would you be willing to share the country list and mark those countries where there were “sensitivities”? Might be useful to others.

Country List.txt (2.1 KB)
Sure. Have attached the text file. We actually got around the sensitivities by renaming from “country” to “location”. Typically, China is not thrilled with recognizing Hong Kong and Taiwan as separate countries but using the word “location” has helped. What i suggest is that, since it takes a while to create the custom filed, add it to a template first so you can later copy and reuse. As far as integrations we use Marketo and about 90% of the time use that for registration. However, for certain sessions, like for regulators we use the ON24 reg page.

2 Likes

Okay. Very cool. Thanks for that list! So then, for this new field, did you have to change how your Marketo integration was configured?

No. Marketo was not affected because we did not use the registration there and only on ON24. For the events where we use the custom country lists we do not import those contacts into Marketo.

1 Like

Okay. Very cool. Thanks, Eliot! :slight_smile: